This event has now finished
West Midlands Egyptology Society Talk
In 1852 the goldsmith and collector Joseph Mayer opened the Egyptian Museum at 8 Colquitt Street, Liverpool. His aim was to create a place for those with no opportunity of visiting the great collection of antiquity in the British Museum. The large Georgian house was filled from top to bottom with antiquities, including eight mummies. The museum was incredibly popular but by 1867 the expanding collection had outgrown the premises and Mayer donated his collection to the newly extended Liverpool Free Public Museum (now World Museum). The collection grew and by 1888 it was described by Amelia Edwards as the most important collection of Egyptian antiquities in England after the British Museum.